History of the Churches of the Pittsburgh Baptist Association
by William Pankey
ALLISON AVENUE BAPTIST CHURCH WASHINGTON, ORGANIZED 1902
The Allison Avenue Baptist Church of Washington was organized in 1902 by members dismissed from the Washington First Church. The first church edifice was erected by M. C. Treat in the suburb of Tylerdale. Fifty-seven charter members constituted the original organization. Due to the rapid growth of the congregation, it soon became necessary to enlarge the church building. At a later date a parsonage was erected. The present membership is 256.
Rev. Martin Jones and Rev. David Morris have entered the Christian ministry from this church. In 1906 a mission work was started at Canonsburg by members of the Allison Avenue Church. This work soon developed into the present First Baptist Church of Canonsburg. The same year the members of the church started a mission work at Bentleyville, which later became the Bentleyville Baptist Church.
The following ministers have served the church:
Rev. W. M. Courson (1902-1908), Rev. James S. Jewell (1909-1916), Rev. David Morris (1927 ). Between 1916 and 1927 the church was supplied by Messrs. Johnson, Bradley, Taylor and Arblaster.
|Share This Page Using:||Tweet|
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved