History of the Churches of the Pittsburgh Baptist Association
by William Pankey
BANKSVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH, ORGANIZED 1870
The Banksville Baptist Church was originally organized, in 1870, as the Welsh Baptist Church by Welsh families bringing their church letters from Wales and from the Chatham Street Baptist Church, Pittsburgh. In 1884 a division in the membership resulted in the organization of the Beechview Christian church.
Services were conducted in the Welsh tongue for years. Many members of this congregation have moved to other communities and have naturally become affiliated with other Baptist churches. The church has suffered greatly in this manner. The members of this church were instrumental in assisting in the organization of the Mount Lebanon Baptist Church, Dormont.
The following ministers have served the church:
Rev. John Thomas (1870-1875), Rev. Isaac Banks (1875-1883), Rev. John Page (1890-1900), Mr. James Page (1900-1920). The church has not had a pastor within recent years. A Sunday school is, however, conducted every Sunday.
|Share This Page Using:||Tweet|
|Share This Page Using:||
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved