History of the Churches of the Pittsburgh Baptist Association
by William Pankey
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, BELLE VERNON, ORGANIZED 1843
This church was organized April 22, 1843, as the Freewill Baptist Church, Belle Vernon, and with sixteen constituent members. The first edifice was a wooden chapel, which was built in 1844, the dedicatory sermon being preached by the Rev. Joshua Newbald. The second building was dedicated, April 21, 1872, the sermon being preached by the Rev. James Calder, of Harrisburg. This building was destroyed by fire, July 19, 1894. The present edifice was dedicated, November 25, 1895, the sermon being preached by the Rev. J. W. Parsons, of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1912 the church became a member of the Pittsburgh Baptist Association. The parsonage was erected in 1909. The present membership is 190.
The following ministers have served the church:
Rev. Joshua Newbald, Rev. Jordan Nye, Rev. Edward Jordan, Rev. Charles B. Eagan, Rev. David S. Snmtz, Rev. Patrick Reardon, Rev. J. W. Plannett, Rev. H. Cook, Rev. L. Blakeley, Rev. J. M. Springer, Rev. A. F. Briant, Rev. G. W. Knapp, Rev. Wellington Joy, Rev. John Rogers, Rev. J. W, Hills, Rev. B. H. Fish, Rev. Joel Baker (1883-1896), Rev. E. E. Cartwright (1896-1897), Rev. Joseph Kelley (1898-1899), Rev. John T. Clow (1899-1901), Rev. James W. Williams (1902-1903), Rev. Alvin Sheppard (1903-1901), Rev. Clarence D. Allen (1904-1908), Rev. William S. Dudley (1908- 1910), Rev. J. A. Shaw (1910-1911), Rev. William Adams (1912-1914), Rev. a. W. Kershmer (1914-1916), Rev. Henry Madtes (1917-1928), Rev. Walter K. McCulloch (1928-1937), Rev. Percy E. Mmidy (1938 ).
|Share This Page Using:||Tweet|
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved