History of the Churches of the Pittsburgh Baptist Association
by William Pankey
BELLEVUE BAPTIST CHURCH, ORGANIZED 1900
The Bellevue Baptist Church was organized December 23, 1900, with twelve charter members, six coming from the Sandusky Street Baptist Church, Pittsburgh, four from the Mxon Street Baptist Church, Pittsburgh, and two from Columbus, Ohio. The names of these charter members are: Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Shaffnit, Mrs. Mullissa Palmer, Miss Caroline Palmer, Miss Emma Palmer, Mrs. G. L. Hayes, Miss Minnie Gerst, Mrs. Sarah Page, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Kirn, Mr. and Mrs. W. O. Judd. Four of these members are still affiliated with the church, namely. Miss Caroline Palmer, Miss Emma Palmer, Harry Kirn and Miss Minnie Gerst. Mrs. W. O. Judd is living in Virginia.
The first edifice was a wooden chapel, situated on Lincoln Avenue. In 1904 the congregation dedicated their second edifice on Meade Avenue, Bellevue. Today a large stone edifice houses the congregation. The present membership is 431.
The following ministers have served the church:
Rev. D. T. Firor (1900-1901), Rev. J. C. Wilkinson (1901-1903), Rev. Francis Kohler (1902-1908), Rev. Claude Kelley (1908-1910), Rev. F. R. Mc- Arthur (1911-1914), Rev. Samuel M. Lindsay (1915-1917), Rev. William H. Cutler (1915-1916), Rev. C. A. Decker (1919-1923), Rev. Frederick F. Shields (1924-1931), Rev. Harold F. Stoddard (1931- ).
|Share This Page Using:||Tweet|
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved