History of the Churches of the Pittsburgh Baptist Association
by William Pankey
HOMEWOOD BAPTIST CHURCH PITTSBURGH, ORGANIZED 1901
In 1897 the Wilkinsburg Baptist Church assisted in the organization of a Baptist mission in Home wood, under the leadership of Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Verner. For a while services were conducted in a tent provided by the Pittsburgh Association. Some months later the congregation moved to Carpenters Hall, Homewood Avenue. At a later date, services were held on the third floor of the McKee Building. The church was organized October 2, 1901, by a small group of Baptists residing in the Homewood and Brushton districts. Twenty-one persons were recognized as charter members. Those of the number who are still members of the church are: Mrs. W. M. Verner, Mr. and Mrs. Fred H. Brown, Mrs. Anna McCormick and John A. Bresch.
The first edifice was a wooden chapel, on Kelly Street, erected in 1902. The present church building was purchased from the Homewood Presbyterian church in 1917. The church mortgage has been reduced substantially within recent years. The present membership is 300.
The following ministers have served the church:
Rev. W. S. Bayne (1903-1904), Rev. G. W. Taft (1905-1910), Rev. E. A. Harrar (1910-1922), Rev. B. F. Patt (1923-1926), Rev. E. H. Tomlin (1927-1928), Rev. W. R. Yokley (1929-1934), Rev. Kenneth F. Estey (1935 ).
|Share This Page Using:||Tweet|
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved