History of the Churches of the Pittsburgh Baptist Association
by William Pankey
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, MONONGAHELA, ORGANIZED 1860
The First Baptist Church, Monongaliela, was organized in the auditorium of the public school, February 9, 1860, with twenty-four charter members. The Pittsburgh Baptist Association admitted the church to membership the following June.
The present church edifice was dedicated in 1871. Through the heroic sacrifices of Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Bentley, the church was able to make progress in the face of many difficulties. At a later date the interior of the sanctuary was remodeled by the addition of a balcony. The parsonage was erected in 1900. The educational unit of the building which provides space for thirty-one Sunday school classes, was erected in 1911.
The membership is now 358.
The following ministers have served the church:
Rev. O. P. Hargrave, Rev. David Williams, Rev. R. R. Sutton, Rev. Aaron Wilson, Rev. Lloyd Morgan, Rev. A. J. King, Rev. E. C. Baird, Rev. J. F. Collins, Rev. L. S. Colburn, Rev. C. S Mulhern, Rev. J. W. Moody, Rev. S. V. Marsh, Rev. J. E. Darby, Rev. E. H. Stewart, Rev. Daniel Trick, Rev. W. H. Shawger, Rev. W. G. Carl, Rev. A. M. Gregg, Rev. Havard Griffith, Rev. E. L. Hamilton, Rev. A. C. King, Rev. Carl K. Boyer.
|Share This Page Using:||Tweet|
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved