There is not to be found in Louisiana a teacher more devoted to the church and its work than the man of whom we now write. He was born in St. Louis, Mo., in 1849. Mr. Alexander and Mrs. E. A. Green being his parents. His father lived to the ripe old age of 83, and his mother 94. Both were Virginians. Prof. Green was born a slave but was bought by his own father and thus escaped the sad and bitter experiences of the bondman.
He entered the public school in St. Louis, where he received an academic education. In 1871 through recommendation of Mr. W. H. Redmond, Bishop A. R. Blunt sent to St. Louis for Prof. Green to come and begin school work in the Pelican State. He reached Natchitoches, La., November 26, 1871, and was appointed to a school in Campti, where he has lived and labored successfully ever since. The first Negro Baptist Sunday-school, perhaps, in this part of the state was organized by him in the St. Peter Baptist Church, December 11, 1871.
In 1880 he succeeded Prof. John G. Lewis as Secretary of the Second Regular Baptist Association of the Twelfth District. He has held this position continuously until now, save his five years' residence in his native city. Upon his return in 1886 this body promptly re-elected him. He fills the office with credit to himself and denomination.
He is among that class of teachers to whom the race is ESPECIALLY indebted. He is an honored pioneer teacher and as such endured hardness, teaching in log houses and perhaps on dirt floors that the present-day Negro teacher might teach in his two and three-story brick building. Under the circumstances he has wrought well, and made for himself an imperishable record which will live on surviving the ravages of time after his body will have gone back to mother earth.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved