Prof. R. E. Jacobs, the oldest son of Solomon and Ellen Jacobs, was born at Converse, La., Sabine Parish, near the Sabine River, May 22, 1877. He spent his early days on his father's farm. He attended the common public school around his home and at Stonewall, La., where he was greatly encouraged by his uncle, Jack Butler. His first teacher was his father, S. J. Jacobs. After finishing some of the common public school grades his father encouraged him to go to college.
January 1, 1897, he entered Coleman College, Gibsland, La. He was short of money and his father was not able to help him financially, therefore he made arrangements off of the campus, where he could help himself by working. Mr. W. F. Hawk, who was Prof. Jacob's landlord when he first entered college, and Prof. O. L. Coleman, the President of the school, showed him many kind favors by helping him through school. He graduated in 1902 with much honor. He desired to deliver an oration on commencement day, but the President and faculty appointed him class valedictorian because of his high standing in school. He was loved by his teachers, admired by his classmates and greatly honored by the students below him. He had several positions offered him when he graduated. Among them was one as field agent for his Alma Mater, and he accepted this position the next day after graduating. He traveled seven months in the states of Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas in the interest of the above-named school. At the expiration of this time, the President was in need of another teacher and Prof. Jacobs was called on to take the position and he did so.
In the spring of 1903 he was re-elected one of the members of the faculty of Coleman College, but resigned to go to his old home to accept a position his father desired him to take. Nov. 2, 1903, he founded the Sabine Normal and Industrial Institute, Converse, La. This position was planned by his father before Prof. Jacobs entered college.
Jan. 28, 1904, he married Miss Mary Lee, a student of Coleman College, Gibsland, La. In 1905 Prof. Jacobs took a special course in the University of Chicago. With the aid of Mrs. Jacobs, a few trustees and friends, Prof. Jacobs has erected seven good buildings on the campus of the Sabine Normal and Industrial Institute. The value of the property in 1914, including land and live stock, was $30,000.
Prof. Jacobs proved himself worthy as a scholar when a public school teacher by making several first grade certificates. He has often been appointed by his county Superintendent as member of the examining committee, and also appointed in the city of Shreveport to do the same work. The white people with whom he has dealings respect him as a man of business and he is often called on by the white school authorities to address them in the behalf of his race.
Prof. Jacobs succeeded in getting the Slater Fund, the Jeanes Fund and his county school board to make annual appropriations to the Sabine School.
Founded Nov. 2, 1903, by R. E. Jacobs. It has 7 buildings. Supported by the Slater Fund, Jeanes Fund, county school board, school farm and private subscription.
Present Faculty: R. E. Jacobs, President; S. B. Belton, First Assistant; Miss Flora M. Goode, Second Assistant and Secretary; E. D. Tyler, Third Assistant and Business Manager; W. M. Tyler, Fourth Assistant and Field Agent; Mrs. M. L. Jacobs, Domestic Science; Miss Lillie Mae Baddie, Music; A. J. Jones, Agriculture.
Value of school property, including land and live stock, is $30,000.V
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved