Bishop Stevenson first saw light in Ascension Parish, La., in 1858. Mr. Jacob and Mrs. Henrietta Stephenson were his parents. They were deeply interested in the education of their son, and no doubt prayed often that he would some day be a strong and useful man. A prayer answering God granted this request. After the war Brother Stevenson picked up what learning he could here and there, attending public school whenever he could.
He was converted in 1881 and baptized into the membership of the Mount (?) Baptist Church, Ascension Parish. Brother Stevenson was ordained in 1889 by the following Elders: Isaiah Lawson, Nathan Cambrie and V. B. Hubbs. This minister of Christ has pastored the following churches: Mount Bethel Baptist Church and Nazarene Baptist Church, Donaldsonville, La. He has manifested much interest in Sunday-school and day school work, having taught public school seventeen years and at the same time held important positions in the Sunday-school work of his District. He showed his interest in the Christian education of his community by accepting the presidency of the Board of Trustees of Leland Academy, Donaldsonville, La. He has reared a large family of fifteen children, and in other laudable ways done what he could for the material and religious advancement of his people.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Reformed Reader Home Page
Copyright 1999, The Reformed Reader, All Rights Reserved